Thursday, October 22, 2015

Astra's sad tale makes Pocket realize how lucky she is

Foley taught me lots of things that have been very useful in my life:  How to snuggle on Mommy’s lap, how to chase a squirrel, and how to social network.  This may have been the kindest service she did me, and the unkindest.

I have made the greatest friends in the world on social networking.  Dogs and their parents across the world know my face and my stories.  Twenty five years ago a dog could not possibly live the life I am living.  But social networking is a double edged sword.  Sometimes you read things that are too hard to bear.

I lead a very quiet, reserved life, but Foley has ordered me to produce blogs every couple of weeks.  I am not as adventurous as Foley, or a mischievous as River, so I worry my blogs will be boring.  Because of that I sometimes research dog stories to see if there is something interesting I can write about.  But I didn’t find anything interesting, only very sad.

I read a story about a pit bull in New York City named Astra.  She has had several foster homes but none of them have worked out for her.  The last foster home was on the 18th floor of an apartment building.  Everything was fine until Astra got on the elevator.  She showed aggression issues with other dogs in the confined, moving, beeping and buzzing spot.  A pit bull with aggression issues in an elevator cannot live on the 18th floor.

Poor Astra was returned to the rescue.  She was placed in the front seat of a car and she watched her foster family walk away, then she realized she was once again being left alone.  She let out a wail, began to cry, and sunk down in her seat.
Astra.jpg
I felt so bad for her.  I can’t blame the family that returned her.  If Astra had let her aggression issues overtake her and attacked in the elevator she, and her family, would be homeless.  Who know what horrors Astra suffered in the past that causes her aggression?  There is no one to blame.  

The rest of the night I could not stop thinking of Astra and dogs like her.  While Astra was back in a kennel at the vet’s office which is now her home I was being carried outside to do my business.  I was getting my teeth sprayed with dental foam, which I hate, but know is done because someone loves me; while I was standing on my Queen sized bed with my sister Astra was alone in a cage; while I got rubs and scratches before I settled down Astra was alone; while I fell asleep on a big, comfortable comforter she slept on a cold, hard crate; and while I woke up snuggled next to me Mom Astra woke up alone.

I would like to end this blog with a smile.  I like making people smile.  But there is no smile here.  No report that Astra was adopted by someone with a big farm in Connecticut.  Astra is a pit bull with elevator issues in a city here most people need to take an elevator to get outside.  I don’t know if Astra will ever get a home.  I pray that she does, but I don’t know.

But I do know how lucky I am, and how lucky we all are.  Whenever something doesn’t go your way, when you have a bad day, when the kibble is slightly overcooked, look around and see the warm loving home you are in, with your wonderful parent(s) and remember no matter how bad your day is, you are the luckiest dog in the world.

2 comments:

  1. That is a beautiful and valuable lesson for dogs. I'm going to read this post to my ungrateful mutts right now. :)














    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right about how lucky you are, Pocket. I wish I could help Astra.

    ReplyDelete

Wordless Wednesday