Friday, January 8, 2016

Tails From Rainbow Bridge: Clint and the Difficult Discussion

It was early in the morning and I was lying in my bed snuggled under the covers when there was a soft knocking on my door.  I lay very still trying not to make a sound.  But the knocking continued.  I got out of bed, picked up a log in my mouth and tossed it on the fire, and opened the door.
Clint was sitting by the door waiting patiently.  I felt guilty about taking my time.  I invited him in and asked him if he wanted a slice of never ending bacon.  He said yes and I broke him off some and mouthed it to him then we both put it between our paws and chewed silently.   Finally I asked him what brought him to my door.
“I know we come here, and there are so many friends, and so much to do, and even endless bacon, but I am still having a hard time adjusting to being without my parents.”
I  got off my bed and went over to sit with Clint.  I was looking for the right words to say but sometimes a warm body next to you goes much further than words.  But words would still be needed.
“We all do Clint,” I said.  “We hide it well.  And we don’t like our parents to know about it.  We like to have them think of us doing the things we couldn’t do on the mortal side and that makes them feel better.”
“I couldn’t pee,” Clint said.  “I don’t think the thought of me peeing freely will fill them with comfort.”
I have him a hug.  “But you weren’t running like you are now, and playing like you are now.  You may not have known it.  I watch you run and play.  If they could see you doing that then they would be very happy.”
“So when will I stop missing them?”
“About the same time they will stop missing you.”
“So never?”
“It will lessen in time, we will help you and your parents have friends there who will help them.  What you both have is time.  Lots of time.  So, to honor one another you have to do your very best to enjoy that time, by running, playing, and doing what makes you happy.”
“Like endless bacon?” Clint asked.
I nodded and ripped off another piece of it.  Thank the Big Guy we have endless bacon.  We have a lot of time to try and enjoy.

6 comments:

  1. I always hold my breath when I read your stories.
    stella rose and momma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too. I would cry except for "endless bacon."

    ReplyDelete
  3. We think that knock must be sadness!

    Keep Calm & Bark On!

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Although your story is about Clint, we believe it can apply to so many of our beloved angel pets and the families they left behind. It is very comforting to us to read your words.

    Woos - Ciara and Lightning

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your words are comforting to me too. I never stop missing my dogs who are at the Bridge, never.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awwww, I never stop missing puppy number one even though puppy number two is very much alive and well. They hold such places in our hearts!

    ReplyDelete

Wordless Wednesday